I can’t believe we are now heading into our 3rd month of the year and that 2019 is nearly a quarter of the way through! To see you through to the quarter year mark here are some of the posts I will be sharing on the blog this month.
- Recipe of the month – a lovely, creamy, vegan mushroom tagliatelle
- Monthly Goals for March
- 10 Things That Have Happened Since Leaving Facebook
- Top 10 Thursday posts including Cleaning Products, Laundry Products and Quick Cleaning Ideas
- Upcycle Project – Table Lamp
- What Is Upcycling?
- The Importance of Having a Content Plan
- Earth Hour
- Defining my Blog
These posts will be up on my blog on a Tuesday, Thursday (Top 10) and Friday!
There will be a few other posts shared during the month too so keep an eye out for them!!!
I hope you enjoy them!
This morning I awoke to several notifications on my phone from WordPress…Nothing unusual there, but one of them was from My Quirky Friend who had nominated me for The Real Neat Blog Award! Thank you so much!!!! I’m so touched to have been considered for this award and, just like them, this is my first blog award!
Although a blogger doesn’t really need to participate in any award nominations, I don’t mind as it gives me a chance to show my appreciation to other bloggers. Plus, it’s free exposure should you wish to participate. Now, for the rules:
Put the award logo on your blog.
Answer 7 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
Thank the people who nominated you, linking to their blogs.
Nominate any number of bloggers you like, linking to their blogs.
Let them know you nominated them (by commenting on their blog, etc.)
Answers to the questions I got asked by My Quirky Friend
- What inspired you to start blogging? I was inspired to start this blog as I wanted to start writing again. I had a few blogs in the past, and really enjoyed creating content and posting to them though they were a bit all over the place – I never blogged regularly and the blogs were too niche in topic to fully write about everything. While I was off from work I decided that I would like to start writing again and so, this blog was born!
- What’s the weirdest food/dish you enjoy eating? I love so many different foods but I think that the weirdest is strong cheddar and strawberry jam sandwiches (using white bread)!
- What is your favorite topic to blog about? I don’t really have one kind of topic that I enjoy writing more about than another, all of the topics I write about on this blog are ones I really enjoy writing about!
- What do you like to do in your down time? In my down time I really like to curl up on the sofa with a blanket, my dog Roxy, a glass of wine and watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix, read, work on my blog or do a jigsaw puzzle.
- Are there any other writers/bloggers in your family? No, but they are all pretty creative in their own way, my Mum is an awesome knitter, my Dad is really good at painting and drawing, my one brother are really good at technical things like fixing computers and cars and my youngest brother is good at cooking.
- How close do you live to the town/city you grew up in? I live about 3.5 miles from the town I grew up in and my parents still live in the house I grew up in too.
- What’s the best advice you have for other bloggers? Post regularly, interact with your followers, write about things you love, your hobbies, interests and what you have a passion for, don’t ever get disheartened by stats – they are there to guide you. And most of all, have fun and enjoy the process!
My Questions to You…
- If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?
- What is your star sign, and do you show any of the signs traits in your personality?
- If you had £1000 given to you, how would you spend it?
- What is your favorite season and why?
- What is your favorite quote?
- What is your biggest dislike?
- If you could live anywhere where would it be?
I decided the last month to share a list of goals for the month ahead that I would like to achieve (you can read the full post here), and will be reviewing these today and setting myself some new goals.
I decided not to make any New Year’s Resolutions or Goals for 2019 as a whole because I tend to start them with great gusto but by the middle of February they have all but been abandoned. After I had written my goals for the month I thought about how monthly goals would be more effective for me – they are less likely to be forgotten for a start as they are only set for a month, they would be more achievable than some of the resolutions I have set myself before, I can review them month on month and judge what is working and what needs working on, working on smaller goals and targets will feel more attainable and I can look back on previous months and really see what I have managed to achieve along the way.
With all that said, lets take a look at how I did with my goals for January….
Blog and Social Media
- Stay on track with my blog routine. I managed my quota of 9 blog posts and a few extras in January too so I totally nailed this one!
- Share more on social media. I think this one is still a work in progress as I have now left Facebook (more on this in another post) and I think my Insta game needs upping. And…I have now joined Twitter and my blog automatically shares the post to that, though I do need to learn how to use it to get the most out of it.
- Change my blog domain. I did this on one of the last days in December, not long after the goals post went live so I can tick this one-off as a successful done!
- Defrost freezer and deep clean fridge. I did deep clean the fridge and assess what I have in there but when I checked the freezer it didn’t need doing as I haven’t had it long enough to build up any frost at all!
- Wash Sofa Covers. I managed to do this within the first week of January!
- Create a cleaning timetable. I finally worked out a timetable for cleaning that works for me, with most of the big cleaning chores being done on a friday and the weekend so that I have my weekday nights pretty clear for blogging and personal projects and things that I want to do! Now I just need to try to stick to it!
Art and Craft
- Make some more candles and research methods of making candles. I have been working with a different brand and type of soy wax and, as it creates sink holes really easily, I have been researching different pouring methods and have been trying out some of the suggestions and methods. (Though I am still getting sink holes….)
- Start making cards again. I had the full intention to make cards for my brothers’ Birthdays but it didn’t happen. I’ve added this goal to my February list.
- Start a scrapbook/journal. I’ve not started scrap booking yet but I have started a one-line journal and have been writing in it regularly. I have also been adding to my “A Doodle A Day” journal that I mentioned in this post.
- Work on Lettering. This is something that I have really loved doing so this is a definite yes! I have been working on my lettering journal between 2 and 3 times a week. I have found this to be really easy to keep up with as I sit and work on my lettering while catching up with tv shows on the internet.
- Finish reading The Snowman. I finally finished reading this on the 6th January!!! And I am so pleased to finally tick this off of my list.
- Plan another craft event. I’m currently working out which day in February will be best to hold our next event and thinking about what sort of activities to plan and whether it should be a themed event!
- Arrange another trip to London. I have spoken with my brother and am deciding when would be best to head back to London. I need to get new tyres for my car as I am planning on driving there and back. I’m thinking that during the half term would be good so I can spend time with my niece and nephew as well as my brother and his wife!
- Go out for the day. I went out in the middle of January with my work friend Andy and his partner Julie! We walked their dog Mysti and Roxy (my dog) up the canal that is not far from my house. We were out for about an hour and a half with the puppers then we came back to my house to drop Roxy off then I went down to their home for a vegan, home-made curry which was lovely!
Now for my goals for February…
Blog and Social Media
- Learn how to use Twitter. After reading a few blogs about twitter I decided to sign up and start my own twitter feed to share my blog posts to. Back in the day, when twitter was in its infancy, I actually had a few different accounts with them but never really understood the integral workings of the site and eventually left. This month I want to really get a grip on how twitter works and start using it to its full potential.
- Update my About Page. The “about” page was one of the first things I wrote when this blog was nothing more than an idea and had literally just been created. I feel that now I have a better idea of my blog and have an even better idea of where it’s going it’s now time to update that page.
- Work on my content plan, ideas and blog schedule. While I have been writing down post ideas into my blog content and ideas planner I have yet to bring them to life and add them into my blog schedule. This month I intend to sit down with my ideas planner and look at the best days for writing/posting these ideas and pencil them into my blog schedule.
- Plan/Host another dinner for Mum and Dad. Not only did i really enjoy cooking for Mum, Dad and Richard, they all enjoyed my food so I’m thinking about having another dinner with them. It would be good to get a date worked out and then I can think about what I’d like to make/cook/serve for it.
- Sort spare room cupboards. I have 2 cupboards, both inbuilt, in my spare room which have become a hiding area for anything that doesn’t really have a home along with spare towels and bedding. I really could do with clearing out the cupboards, seeing what is in there and giving everything a proper home.
- Make a start on the garden. While the mornings are cold and frosty it would be silly to pass up the opportunity to get outside and make a start on clearing part of the garden, cutting back some brambles and preparing the bed that runs along my path for some flowers and bulbs to be planted.
Art and Craft
- Start making cards. This is the only item carried over from last month! Hopefully, with my Mum’s Birthday coming up this month I will be able to turn this goal into a reality.
- Take more photos. It’s not until I go to write a blog post about something I have done that I realise I’ve not taken as many photos as I thought, and while I don’t want to be the annoying one always behind the camera, snapping away, I would like to document more of my life with photos.
- Sort through my craft supplies and re-organise. It’s always good to take stock of what you own, sometimes I re-discover things I had forgotten about and that re-discovery can lead to mew ideas or I find things I had purchased for a project I never started which can inspire me to actually make a start on it!
- Do my nails. It feels like such a long time since I actually sat down and did anything for my nails/hands. I have really chipped, growing out grey gel polish on my fingers that has been there since November. And I’ve not really noticed, or cared about it that much but I’m starting to think that, actually, it may be nice to spend some time caring for them. Perhaps this month I should schedule in a manicure and a swipe of polish?…
- Meal plan. I have to admit that I’m pretty terrible at eating…I’m one of those people who doesn’t think of food and what they are going to eat on a day-to-day basis, let alone a meal by meal basis, and usually, I only think about food when I am super hungry then make bad food decisions. I am going to try to set a meal plan so I know what I need to prepare and can make or buy things in advance and, hopefully, this will help me make better food choices and get me into eating more regularly.
- Skin Care routine. I’ve always liked the idea of having a skin care routine and have often bought products and intended to start a proper routine, but, the intention hasn’t lasted long and the products have been used once or twice then sat on the shelf gathering dust. I do clean my face with an exfoliating wash, or a cleanser or even soap but I guess that can’t be classed as a routine? I really want to start taking better care of my skin and start using a cleanser, toner and moisturizer daily with a facemask and exfoliator maybe 2 times a week. Any suggestions for products I should look at using?
What goals do you have for this month?
The nights are slowly starting to get shorter and the days are gradually stretching out and growing in minutes and before we know it Spring will have well and truly sprung, but until then I have all these posts lined up for you…
- Recipe of the Month
- Monthly Goals
- Hygge – What is it?
- A-Z of Date Ideas
- Why I Love Blogging
- Upcycle Project – Fake Flowers
- The Art of Thrifting
- My Favorite Outfit for Spring
I hope you will enjoy reading these posts as much as I have enjoyed planning them and putting them together!
I think it is always a good idea when starting something that you have some kind of goal to aim for, a list of things you can cross off once you have achieved them and something to look back on from time to time so you can assess how things are coming along. A list of goals helps me to stay focused and concentrate on what is important to me. Today I am sharing my goals for this blog, and what I will do to achieve them.
- Blog Schedule. Aside from December (That schedule was a bit mad) I try to post on a Tuesday and a Friday. This seems to suit me as I have a few days in which to be able to research, take photographs and write my post. My goal for this year is to try and keep up with a 2 post a week schedule and try not to deviate from posting on a tuesday and a friday.
- Follows and Likes. Currently my followers stands at 70 and I get maybe 2 or 3 likes on some of my posts. I’d really like to get 150 followers by the end of the year and a few likes on each post I make.
- Twitter. Now that I have a Twitter account set up I’d like to learn how it works fully and start following people that I’m interested in and become involved in blog conversations on there.
- Interaction/Networking. While I follow a handful of blogs and read their posts on a day-to-day basis I rarely comment on their content. I am going to start to make an effort to comment at least once a week on posts that really resonate with me. I would also like to start networking with other bloggers who write about similar things as me and feel that twitter will help me with this.
- Social Media. I am going to try to up my game when it comes to social media and post content more regularly on the social media I already have set up (Twitter and Instagram). Hopefully, by posting more content I will attract some new readers and followers along the way!
- Photography. While I have a degree in Photographic Art I don’t feel that the photos I take on this blog live up to my capabilities. I feel that I need to work on setting up my images and work on the lighting aspect of the photo. I really want to be able to take more photos in a fashion and advertising style to fit my blog style.
Do you have any blog goals for this year?
I’m all set to welcome in the New Year! And along with a New Year I’m all set to share some new posts with you in January!
Get set for posts covering…
My Recipe of the Month – a gorgeous warming tomato and bean soup
What I Did – How I Celebrated the New Year
Minimalism – What Is It?
Project Make – How to Make Candles
How I Stay Creative
Candles and Other Alternative Lighting
My Blogging Goals
My Hobbies and Interests
I hope you will come back and enjoy the posts I have written!
This month I have a bumper lot of Christmas posts to share with you! I have been busy making things, researching, writing, photographing and compiling ideas, hints and tips on all things Christmas related!
You can expect to see posts about
The Crafternoon event I held in aid of Mind
An Alternative Advent Calendar
Christmas Decoration Ideas – from making your own decorations, how to decorate your table and little touches to add to give an extra special touch.
I will be writing about food ideas to serve on the day, how I decorate my home for the Festive Season, DIY ideas for gifts, my own Christmas Wishlist, preparations for the day itself and ideas on how to relax.
After Christmas Day I will be sharing how I spent the day!
I hope you will enjoy reading the posts as much as I have in researching and writing them!!!
I just wanted to share that aside from being on Instagram I now have a page on Facebook which I will be sharing my blog post links to along with photos of things I am doing, inspirational images and other insights into my day to day life…
I have also created a logo to use on social media so it’s easier to find me! I used an app called LogoScopic Studio which I downloaded from the AppStore! It’s a really easy to use app that I found just by chance when looking at logo creators..
Here’s the logo I created…what do you think?