I decided at the beginning of the year that I would not make any Resolutions or yearly goals but, rather, make monthly ones that were more easily obtainable, you can find all my Monthly Goal posts here.
Today I am looking at the goals I set myself last month and whether I achieved them and setting myself goals for March.
Here are last month’s goals and whether I managed them!
Blog and Social Media
- Learn how to use Twitter. I feel that there is a lot more to Twitter now than there was when I first had a twitter account. It has changed so much and there is so much to learn! I am able to follow people, like, comment and share tweets but that is as far as it has got so far! This, I think is going to be a continuing learning curve for me!
- Update my About Page. I had already created my new About page, so that went live on 5th February!
- Work on my content plan, ideas and blog schedule. This is another thing I can tick off as being done, at least for a few months…I have worked out my content plan, ideas and schedule for the next few months and have ideas written down for around 6 months worth of posts. All I need to do now is to keep updating my schedule and content plan!
- Plan/Host another dinner for Mum and Dad. I have yet to organise or plan another meal for my parents as my Dad hasn’t been too well recently. He is getting much better now though so I shall, hopefully be able to plan something for this coming month.
- Sort spare room cupboards. I made a start on tis and have moved a few things around but I still need to work on tidying it up a bit and making it more organised so this is an ongoing project!
- Make a start on the garden. I was hoping that the weather would have been better for me to be able to make a start on this but it has been a damp, rainy and cold month and only in the last few days it has started to get warmer and a little drier. Hopefully I will be able to make headway with this in March.
Art and Craft
- Start making cards. I managed to make a few cards, one being a card for my Mum’s Birthday. I had forgotten quite how time-consuming a process it could be! I might not make a ton of cards in the future but I would be happy to keep up making cards for friends and family and special occasions.
- Take more photos. I feel like I have definitely taken more photos this month and it has been nice to have an array of photos to choose from to share and also to look at. Having more photos to choose from has made my blog work a lot easier and has minimised the amount of time I have had to put aside to edit images too!
- Sort through my craft supplies and re-organise. Another work in progress…I didn’t realise how much stuff I actually owned and how spread out over the house it was! I did buy some small storage boxes from Flying Tiger and they worked really well to organise some of my smaller pieces, however when I went back to get some more they didn’t have any in stock so I need to go back and get more when they are available!
- Do my nails. I took off my old polish and have trimmed and filed my nails into a nice shape and I have been applying OPI Nail Envy to my nails as the medication I am taking has made them a bit fragile. They are starting to regain some strength but I don’t want to polish them just yet.
- Meal plan. I have a basic meal plan in place now which is good and seems to work for me, now I just need to work on sticking to it every day!
- Skin Care routine. I have got a skin care routine going now but I think I now need to focus on which products work best for me and get rid of all the products that really, just don’t do anything for my skin or work that well.
Blog and Social Media
- Increase my blog visibility and interaction. I now have Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Bloglovin’ that are linked to this blog, I now need to start using them at their fullest in order to get my blog seen by more people. I also want to make sure I am following all my blog friends on their social media channels too. If you have a social media account then please share your links below and I’ll be sure to follow!
- Social media content. I post to Instagram usually when a blog post goes live (though for the past few days I haven’t as I forgot…), Twitter, LinkedIn and Bloglovin’ are set to post automatically when a post goes live and Pinterest…well, I’m still trying to figure that one out… I need to work on using these platforms more often and posting things myself as well as automatically. I think, realistically, I need to come up with a social media content table and attempt to post and interact on all of the platforms for at least half an hour each day.
- Create a timetable of work/home hours. As I am doing a phased return to work over the next few months it would be beneficial for me to work out a timetable of my hours in work and at home so I can get a better overview of my work/life balance and see how everything will work in the long-term. It will also help me to schedule my time better for things like blogging and household chores.
- Pantry/Cupboard staples master list. I want to make a list of each item that I have in the cupboard that are staples – pasta, rice, soup, beans, pulses, herbs and spices etc, so I can use it as a check list when it comes to shopping. I am a nightmare for buying things like vinegar over and over (even with a shopping list!) when I don’t need it so a list would help to stop me from buying the wrong things!
- Start a virtual wardrobe. I have thought about this one for a long time and have decided to take photos of all my clothes, shoes and bags and then create a folder of outfits using the images that I take. I will then, hopefully, be able to come up with lots of different outfits rather than relying on the same looks all the time.
- Plan/Host a meal for Mun and Dad. Hopefully, now Dad is starting to feel better I will be able to plan and organise a meal for us all this month! I already have a few ideas for recipes that I would like to try!
- Organise the Spare Room Cupboards. I have a few hours set aside in the next few weeks which I would like to utilise to get this task completely finished and over and done with!
- Make a start on the Garden. Now that the days are starting to get warmer and the weather is getting drier I should be able to get out in the garden and finally make a start on getting it looking lovely for summer!
Art, Craft, Hobbies and Interests
You may have noticed that I have added Hobbies and Interests to this section. I have expanded the section to cover a few more things that are related in this category.
- Learn a few different styles of blog and social media photography. While I have had a little play around with flat lay photography I feel that my knowledge of this style of photography is lacking, both in the styling element and in the execution of the image. I also want to learn how to take good lifestyle snapshot images for social media use.
- Learn about creating perfumes/scent. I would really love to be able to make my own scent and know what sort of things I like and don’t like when it comes to perfume. I think that there is something really lovely about being able to create a fragrance that is your own and is unique so this month I will be spending some time researching how to create my own fragrance and sourcing some scents to use. Ideally I would like to make two versions of the same thing – a daytime sent that is softer and an evening one that is a bit stronger but that may be a bit too ambitious.
- Work on book idea. I have started making notes about an idea that I have for a book and I’d like to work on the notes some more and start working on a proper draft of it this month. Once I have all the basic ideas down I can work on a writing timetable, start putting it all together in a way that makes sense and make a start on all the other bookish things that need to be done!
- Finish Sorting and Organising Craft Supplies. Hopefully, by the end of March, this will be finished and all my craft things will be set out and organised nicely!
- Sort out hair/body/face care things. I seem to have accumulated a large stash of products and really need to sort them out before going and buying more things. One I have an idea of what I have got then I can start using them before spending money on things I already own!
- Dye hair. I used to dye my hair once a month but recently I have been able to get away with doing it every other month as the dye I use fades down from purple to a blue toned lilac then to a light blue colour but it’s now at the stage where I need to get my roots sorted which means bleaching the whole lot before dying it again.
- Sort out printer. I bought ink for my printer but when printing it doesn’t seem to like printing with the black ink and its missing bits when it prints too. I guess this is down to it not being used for a while and that it needs a good clean. I’m a bit frustrated that I’m not able to print things out properly so this is going to be a priority this month for me.
What goals do you have for this month?
I decided the last month to share a list of goals for the month ahead that I would like to achieve (you can read the full post here), and will be reviewing these today and setting myself some new goals.
I decided not to make any New Year’s Resolutions or Goals for 2019 as a whole because I tend to start them with great gusto but by the middle of February they have all but been abandoned. After I had written my goals for the month I thought about how monthly goals would be more effective for me – they are less likely to be forgotten for a start as they are only set for a month, they would be more achievable than some of the resolutions I have set myself before, I can review them month on month and judge what is working and what needs working on, working on smaller goals and targets will feel more attainable and I can look back on previous months and really see what I have managed to achieve along the way.
With all that said, lets take a look at how I did with my goals for January….
Blog and Social Media
- Stay on track with my blog routine. I managed my quota of 9 blog posts and a few extras in January too so I totally nailed this one!
- Share more on social media. I think this one is still a work in progress as I have now left Facebook (more on this in another post) and I think my Insta game needs upping. And…I have now joined Twitter and my blog automatically shares the post to that, though I do need to learn how to use it to get the most out of it.
- Change my blog domain. I did this on one of the last days in December, not long after the goals post went live so I can tick this one-off as a successful done!
- Defrost freezer and deep clean fridge. I did deep clean the fridge and assess what I have in there but when I checked the freezer it didn’t need doing as I haven’t had it long enough to build up any frost at all!
- Wash Sofa Covers. I managed to do this within the first week of January!
- Create a cleaning timetable. I finally worked out a timetable for cleaning that works for me, with most of the big cleaning chores being done on a friday and the weekend so that I have my weekday nights pretty clear for blogging and personal projects and things that I want to do! Now I just need to try to stick to it!
Art and Craft
- Make some more candles and research methods of making candles. I have been working with a different brand and type of soy wax and, as it creates sink holes really easily, I have been researching different pouring methods and have been trying out some of the suggestions and methods. (Though I am still getting sink holes….)
- Start making cards again. I had the full intention to make cards for my brothers’ Birthdays but it didn’t happen. I’ve added this goal to my February list.
- Start a scrapbook/journal. I’ve not started scrap booking yet but I have started a one-line journal and have been writing in it regularly. I have also been adding to my “A Doodle A Day” journal that I mentioned in this post.
- Work on Lettering. This is something that I have really loved doing so this is a definite yes! I have been working on my lettering journal between 2 and 3 times a week. I have found this to be really easy to keep up with as I sit and work on my lettering while catching up with tv shows on the internet.
- Finish reading The Snowman. I finally finished reading this on the 6th January!!! And I am so pleased to finally tick this off of my list.
- Plan another craft event. I’m currently working out which day in February will be best to hold our next event and thinking about what sort of activities to plan and whether it should be a themed event!
- Arrange another trip to London. I have spoken with my brother and am deciding when would be best to head back to London. I need to get new tyres for my car as I am planning on driving there and back. I’m thinking that during the half term would be good so I can spend time with my niece and nephew as well as my brother and his wife!
- Go out for the day. I went out in the middle of January with my work friend Andy and his partner Julie! We walked their dog Mysti and Roxy (my dog) up the canal that is not far from my house. We were out for about an hour and a half with the puppers then we came back to my house to drop Roxy off then I went down to their home for a vegan, home-made curry which was lovely!
Now for my goals for February…
Blog and Social Media
- Learn how to use Twitter. After reading a few blogs about twitter I decided to sign up and start my own twitter feed to share my blog posts to. Back in the day, when twitter was in its infancy, I actually had a few different accounts with them but never really understood the integral workings of the site and eventually left. This month I want to really get a grip on how twitter works and start using it to its full potential.
- Update my About Page. The “about” page was one of the first things I wrote when this blog was nothing more than an idea and had literally just been created. I feel that now I have a better idea of my blog and have an even better idea of where it’s going it’s now time to update that page.
- Work on my content plan, ideas and blog schedule. While I have been writing down post ideas into my blog content and ideas planner I have yet to bring them to life and add them into my blog schedule. This month I intend to sit down with my ideas planner and look at the best days for writing/posting these ideas and pencil them into my blog schedule.
- Plan/Host another dinner for Mum and Dad. Not only did i really enjoy cooking for Mum, Dad and Richard, they all enjoyed my food so I’m thinking about having another dinner with them. It would be good to get a date worked out and then I can think about what I’d like to make/cook/serve for it.
- Sort spare room cupboards. I have 2 cupboards, both inbuilt, in my spare room which have become a hiding area for anything that doesn’t really have a home along with spare towels and bedding. I really could do with clearing out the cupboards, seeing what is in there and giving everything a proper home.
- Make a start on the garden. While the mornings are cold and frosty it would be silly to pass up the opportunity to get outside and make a start on clearing part of the garden, cutting back some brambles and preparing the bed that runs along my path for some flowers and bulbs to be planted.
Art and Craft
- Start making cards. This is the only item carried over from last month! Hopefully, with my Mum’s Birthday coming up this month I will be able to turn this goal into a reality.
- Take more photos. It’s not until I go to write a blog post about something I have done that I realise I’ve not taken as many photos as I thought, and while I don’t want to be the annoying one always behind the camera, snapping away, I would like to document more of my life with photos.
- Sort through my craft supplies and re-organise. It’s always good to take stock of what you own, sometimes I re-discover things I had forgotten about and that re-discovery can lead to mew ideas or I find things I had purchased for a project I never started which can inspire me to actually make a start on it!
- Do my nails. It feels like such a long time since I actually sat down and did anything for my nails/hands. I have really chipped, growing out grey gel polish on my fingers that has been there since November. And I’ve not really noticed, or cared about it that much but I’m starting to think that, actually, it may be nice to spend some time caring for them. Perhaps this month I should schedule in a manicure and a swipe of polish?…
- Meal plan. I have to admit that I’m pretty terrible at eating…I’m one of those people who doesn’t think of food and what they are going to eat on a day-to-day basis, let alone a meal by meal basis, and usually, I only think about food when I am super hungry then make bad food decisions. I am going to try to set a meal plan so I know what I need to prepare and can make or buy things in advance and, hopefully, this will help me make better food choices and get me into eating more regularly.
- Skin Care routine. I’ve always liked the idea of having a skin care routine and have often bought products and intended to start a proper routine, but, the intention hasn’t lasted long and the products have been used once or twice then sat on the shelf gathering dust. I do clean my face with an exfoliating wash, or a cleanser or even soap but I guess that can’t be classed as a routine? I really want to start taking better care of my skin and start using a cleanser, toner and moisturizer daily with a facemask and exfoliator maybe 2 times a week. Any suggestions for products I should look at using?
What goals do you have for this month?
I think it is always a good idea when starting something that you have some kind of goal to aim for, a list of things you can cross off once you have achieved them and something to look back on from time to time so you can assess how things are coming along. A list of goals helps me to stay focused and concentrate on what is important to me. Today I am sharing my goals for this blog, and what I will do to achieve them.
- Blog Schedule. Aside from December (That schedule was a bit mad) I try to post on a Tuesday and a Friday. This seems to suit me as I have a few days in which to be able to research, take photographs and write my post. My goal for this year is to try and keep up with a 2 post a week schedule and try not to deviate from posting on a tuesday and a friday.
- Follows and Likes. Currently my followers stands at 70 and I get maybe 2 or 3 likes on some of my posts. I’d really like to get 150 followers by the end of the year and a few likes on each post I make.
- Twitter. Now that I have a Twitter account set up I’d like to learn how it works fully and start following people that I’m interested in and become involved in blog conversations on there.
- Interaction/Networking. While I follow a handful of blogs and read their posts on a day-to-day basis I rarely comment on their content. I am going to start to make an effort to comment at least once a week on posts that really resonate with me. I would also like to start networking with other bloggers who write about similar things as me and feel that twitter will help me with this.
- Social Media. I am going to try to up my game when it comes to social media and post content more regularly on the social media I already have set up (Twitter and Instagram). Hopefully, by posting more content I will attract some new readers and followers along the way!
- Photography. While I have a degree in Photographic Art I don’t feel that the photos I take on this blog live up to my capabilities. I feel that I need to work on setting up my images and work on the lighting aspect of the photo. I really want to be able to take more photos in a fashion and advertising style to fit my blog style.
Do you have any blog goals for this year?
I think it’s always a really nice idea, at the end of a month, just to sit down and think about some things that you want to achieve in the following month. I am going to share with you, today, my little list of goals I want to achieve this month. I have split my list into 4 sections covering my blog and social media, home, art and craft and personal. Here are the goals I’d like to achieve this coming month.
Blog and Social Media
- Stay on track with my blog routine. December was a mad month for blog posts, I more than doubled the usual amount of posts because I wanted to share so much about Christmas and Christmas Ideas but now that is all over I’m going to try to get back to my usual routine of posting on a Tuesday and Friday.
- Share more on social media. Especially Facebook and Instagram. Though I have got these platforms, I haven’t been using them a great deal for one reason or another so this month I am setting a goal to share at least one blog post image or the link to the blog post to these sites.
- Change my blog domain. Upgrade my blog extension from a wordpress.com extension to a co.uk or another extension to make it easier to share my site across social media platforms and make it easier for people to find my blog.
- Defrost freezer and deep clean fridge. I really like to do this in the New Year, not only do I get to have a nice clean fridge and freezer I can also take stock of everything that I have got in there, decide what needs using up, what I could do with getting rid of and what I need to stock up on!
- Wash Sofa Covers. I tend to do this job every few months and love how fresh my room smells once the covers are back in place.
- Create a cleaning timetable. When I lived in my other house I had a cleaning timetable in place but since moving I’ve not really had one. A cleaning timetable helps me to remember to do things like make sure the right bins go out on the correct day. This month I want to create a new timetable and write it into my home planner and (try to) stick to it.
Art and Craft
- Make some more candles. I made some candles the other month and would like to make some more as it was really fun and a great way to relax and it means I will always have something to gift as presents. I’d also like to research methods of making candles as there are so many different techniques!
- Start making cards again. I used to make lots of cards and even started to sell them for charity a long time ago. I’d like to get back into making and giving my own cards to friends and family as it is a bit more personal and special than buying shop bought cards.
- Start a scrapbook/journal. This is something that, again, I used to do years ago and am thinking that I would like to start doing again. I have a La De Dah Journal already which would be perfect as a scrap journal. There are lots of different papers you can buy to add to the journal and so many different ways to use the pages that it would be the perfect choice for what I’d like to do.
- Work on Lettering. I bought a dot grid book a short while ago so I could start working on my own lettering and create my own alphabets to use in my journal. I think that cold, dark, January would be the perfect time to start on this project.
- Finish reading The Snowman. I started reading this book back in September just before I got diagnosed with stress and anxiety. Since then, because of my medication and symptoms associated with my mental health, my concentration levels have meant that reading a book or watching a tv show have been hard work. I’d really like to finish this book by the end of January.
- Plan another craft event. I really enjoyed hosting my Crafternoon in aid of Mind and it got me thinking about maybe hosting a craft group every few months where I can get my friends together and we can learn new crafting skills together. After talking to everyone that came to my event it seems that this is something that they would all be interested in.
- Arrange another trip to London. My brother and his family live in London and I really want to go and visit them again so this month I will try to make some plans to visit in the near future (hopefully end of Jan or Feb sometime!).
- Go out for the day. Since I have been unwell I have really struggled with basic things like shopping and running errands let alone visiting friends and going places. Leaving the house in general has been a daily struggle as my anxiety seems to build so much that I can’t seem to even step outside my front door. This month I would really like to make a change to that and am going to plan a day out somewhere, even if it’s to the local shopping centre or park.
What is on your goals list this month?