Last month I gave you a vegan recipe for Tomato and Bean soup from the Vegan Recipe Club, this month I am sharing a really easy vegan chocolate cake recipe that I found on the Tesco website. Tesco has some really lovely recipes and the great thing about their website and recipes is that there are handy “shop ingredients” and “add to shopping list” buttons which let you add the items you need to your basket rather than traipsing around the shop looking for what you need. This function also shows you how much it will cost for you to make the recipe from scratch.
This is one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes and is really versatile in that you can add things like cherries, vegan chocolate chips, vegan fudge pieces to the cake mix before cooking. I like to use a smaller cake tin and make 2 separate cakes and fill with the icing and a bit of marmalade just to make it a bit different!
Here’s the recipe….
For the cake….
- 40g (1 1/2oz) cocoa powder
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225g (7 1/2oz) caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 75ml (3fl oz) sunflower oil
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
For the icing
- 30g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 200g icing sugar
- 150g (5oz) Pure sunflower butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
This amount of icing will cover the top of the cake but if you want to cover the sides too I tend to triple the amounts used.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line a 20cm (8in) round cake tin with baking paper.
- In a bowl mix together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, 230ml (8fl oz) water, vanilla and vinegar, then pour into the flour mixture. Mix together very well until smooth.
- Pour into the cake tin and place in the centre of a preheated oven. Bake for about 30 mins until risen and firm to the touch. A skewer should come out clean. Leave to cool in its tin for 10 mins then turn out onto a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooking make the icing. Sieve the cocoa powder and icing sugar into a large bowl. Add in the dairy-free margarine and vanilla extract and use an electric whisk to combine everything together until smooth and fully incorporated.
- It will look very dry, but don’t add any liquid as it will come together after a minute or two of whisking. Refrigerate for 30 mins before using.
- When the cake is completely cool, spread the chocolate icing liberally over the top and serve.
You can find this recipe at https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/dairy-and-egg-free-chocolate-cake.html