In my opinion there is nothing better, at this time of the year, than settling down with some toast and a lovely, hot bowl of soup while your favorite programme plays on the tv. Today I am sharing my favorite Vegan Tomato and Bean Soup recipe that is easy to make, nutritious and filling. The recipe was found on http://www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk and they have some really wonderful recipes on there to cover almost every type of meal imaginable! It’s such a fab resource of recipes and would be super helpful to any of you attempting Veganuary this year!
Heres the recipe…
- 900g/2lb plum tomatoes (Or you can cheat and use two tins of chopped! If so, start at no. 4) *
- 30ml/2 tbsp olive oil
- 275g/10oz onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 900ml/1½ pts/3¾ cups vegetable stock
- 30ml/2 tbsp sun dried tomato paste (or just blitz about 3-4 whole SDT with water)
- 10ml/2 tsp paprika
- 15ml/1 tbsp cornflour or ½ tbsp arrowroot (arrowroot is GF) – mix to a paste with a little cold water
- 425g/15oz tin cannellini or other small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 30ml/2tbsp chopped fresh basil**
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
* I always use tinned tomatoes just because fresh tomatoes seem to get eaten as soon as they are purchased…
** I don’t always have fresh basil to hand and have used dried basil in its place, but please check the date when you opened the dried herbs as they can lose their potency once opened.
Additional things I sometimes add are oregano, thyme or vegan Worcestershire sauce.
- If using fresh tomatoes you will want to prepare them first. To prepare them we need to peel them and then chop them. To peel them it is easiest to place them in a bowl of hot (just boiled) water, then plunge them into cold water after around 10-20 seconds, then peel with a sharp knife. Then cut into quarters.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, I use the pan that I am going to make the soup in because I hate washing up!
- Add the onions and garlic and lightly fry before adding the tomatoes and the tomato paste into the mix. I usually add the tomatoes once the onions have softened and become transparent.
- Add stock and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bring the mix to the boil then leave to simmer for 10mins
- Add the cornflour (this will thicken the soup slightly)
- Drain and rinse the beans and add to the mix, stir through
- Taste and adjust seasoning, add basil then serve!
This recipe will serve 2 people easily!