Today’s recipe is really simple and tasty, doesn’t take much to prepare and is really filling! I love serving this with oven warmed crusty rolls and vegan margarine.
This recipe is taken from The Vegan Recipe Club and you can find many more lovely vegan recipes on their site!
Creamy, Vegan, Mushroom Tagliatelle
- 100g of any (vegan/egg-free) tagliatelle pasta
- 4 medium-sized mushrooms (sliced), though I tend to use button mushrooms, and a lot more (I love mushrooms!)
- 50ml soya cream (I use the Alpro soya cream which you can find in the vegan and veggie chilled section of most supermarkets)
- 1 tsp vegan margarine (I use Vitalite Dairy Free)
- ½ onion (diced) (I tend to use the whole onion but opt for a small one!)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Parsley as a garnish
Hint, if you use more mushrooms and double the amount of soya cream, add in about 2 pints of soya milk then this makes a lovely soup!
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized frying pan and add the onion and garlic, you can cook these with a bit of water rather than oil if you prefer, just add a similar amount of water as you would oil and the same frying method.
- Fry the onion and garlic until golden brown adding in the mushrooms once the onion and garlic have cooked
- Put a cover over the mix, and leave on a medium heat for 5 mins or so. Once the 5 mins are up, take the cover off and stir, then leave to cook for another few mins.
- Add the margarine and soya cream to the mushroom and onion mix, stir and heat through for around 3 more minutes before removing from the heat.
- Blend the sauce using either a jug blender or a hand blender (I prefer using a hand blender for this bit as I have greater control over whether I want a chunky or smooth sauce)
- Cook the tagliatelle according to the packet instructions.
- Drain the pasta saving some of the water to add to the sauce shortly.
- Place the tagliatelle into the empty pan and add the sauce mix, return to the heat for a few mins, stirring as you go. If the sauce is too thick, this is the time to add the saved pasta water to thin the sauce down.
- Once steaming, heated through and the sauce is fully combined with the pasta, place pasta in bowls, garnish with parsley and serve with warm crusty rolls.