I have shared the first two parts of this project already, you can find the first post (about finding my chairs) here, and the second part (about preparing them and painting) here . Todays post is about upholstering the seat part of the chairs.
I had decided to replace the seat part of the chair fabric with white vinyl and decided that I would replace the seat padding at the same time as the padding was fairly flat and on some chairs felt pretty non existent. I decided to use a thick, 2 inch deep foam for the seat padding which I bought from Amazon. I also needed to buy a staple gun and the vinyl material which I also ordered from Amazon. As the width of the material I chose to use was 1.4 meters I purchased 2 meters in length which gave me enough fabric to cover all 4 seats.
The first task I had was to remove the old fabric from the seats once the seat had been removed from the chair frame. Sounds fairly simple doesn’t it? This task took an age! The old fabric had been stapled to the seat base with about a million staples per seat, and it wasnt just the sheer amount of staples used that made it a lengthy task, the staples were really tough to remove, some of them embedded into the wood quite deeply. I used a screwdriver to lever the staples out one by one. Once the staples had been removed I could see that the seat padding was made up of bits of milled material and foam had been used around the edges of the seat to make them less hard. The foam had disintegrated fairly badly and had in many places turned to dust. I had to carefully remove the fabric and use a Hoover to clean up as I went along.
The foam pads that I had bought were slightly bigger than the seat bases which meant I needed to cut the foam down to size. as the seats were not square I also needed to make sure that the foam shape matched that of the seat so I used the seat as a template and traced around them onto the foam with a sharpie marker before cutting the excess foam away with scissors.
Once the foam had been cut to size I then needed to cut the vinyl down too. I cut the piece I had bought into 4 sections, one piece for each seat. I then laid this down on the table with the facing side to the table and the underside of the fabric facing up. on to this I laid the cut foam and then placed the seat on top. From that point I was able to start securing the fabric to the seat using the staple gun. I started in the centre of the front of the seat, then the back centre, making sure the fabric was taught and evenly stretched over the foam. I then secured each side before trimming down the excess fabric and then continued to staple the fabric into place. Once I reached the corners I chose to fold the fabric and tuck it in, creating a neat looking corner. I had, on the first chair. attempted to be fancy and create rounded seat edged but it didn’t work particularly well and I ended up with excess fabric in one corner and an awkward looking seat covering. In hindsight I think that if the foam hadn’t been so thick then that idea would have worked a lot better!
In the pictures above you will be able to see that I started with stapling the corners of the fabric first…this was the first seat that I covered where I thought that making the corners rounded was a good idea…it wasn’t! And starting on the corners meant that the tension of the fabric was out which made it harder to get the fabric to lay nicely over the foam. On the other seats I secured the fabric in the centre of the sides and worked front centre 0 back centre, then both sides in the centre before working my way along the rest of the sides and out towards the corners. Unfortunately, I forgot to take any more pictures of the full method I used….
Next week I will be showing you the completed chairs and the fun decoration I have added to the chairs!